Caring for Your FäsGräs Lawn
Working closely with your builder, we have done our part to establish a beautiful lawn for your new home. It is your turn to give this young lawn some tender loving care. Your lawn, like every living thing, needs special attention. Listed below are our recommendations for the care of your FäsGräs lawn.
- Watering: To give your grass an even and fast start, we drenched the ground for 5 to 10 days. This puts moisture deep into the ground, to establish a deep root system.
BUT IF YOU CONTINUE TO DRENCH THE GROUND THE WAY WE DID, YOU MAY CAUSE FUNGUS AND DISEASE, especially during hot & humid weather!!!
So be sure to allow the surface of your lawn to dry out for about 2 days!
Water the lawn only when the grass needs it, at the first sign of wilting. Look for a bluish green cast and slight shriveling of the leaves in some spots.
IN HOT WEATHER, DISEASE AND FUNGUS CAN ATTACK WET GRASS! So STOP watering by 1:00 PM to allow the grass to dry off before nightfall.
Water must penetrate the root system. Therefore, water one area for 2 to 3 hours (depends on water pressure), then move to the next area. Here’s a helpful rule of thumb: Place a pan flat on the ground. When the pan has ¾ of an inch of water in it, that area is watered sufficiently. One time per week should be enough.
- Cut your lawn as soon as it reaches a height of 4 to 5 inches.
- Make sure your mowing blades are sharp.
- Set mowing height at 3½ inches and leave it there.
- Bag the clippings. Do not rake newly seeded lawns.
- Cut your lawn on a regular basis, every 7 to 10 days.
- Fertilizing: Fertilizer is applied with the initial seeding and our process includes one follow-up fertilization approximately 4 – 6 weeks after initial seeding is performed. A yellowing of the grass will indicate the grass needs nitrogen, so fertilize.
CAUTION: FERTILIZER SHOULD NOT BE APPLIED IN HOT WEATHER.
Weeds and insects can become a problem, pesticides and herbicides should be used for their control.
Newly seeded lawns should be fertilized 3 to 5 times per year.